Thursday, April 15, 2010

More Oblivion Lag Problems

First off, I know that lagging is a term used for online and network play, but I figured that it would be the most universally recognizable alternate for ''frame rate drops.''I run a Toshiba Satellite P205D-S7479 with:AMD Turion 64 dual core processor @ 2.2 Ghz2 Gig DDR2 RAMATI Radeon HD 2600 graphics card @ 512 megWindows Vista Home Premium (regrettably, I run Vista. God, it's so broken...)I know that the recommended Processor speed is 3 Ghz, but I am not sure that that is the problem (although it might very well be). Even when I completely tank the video settings (lowest settings), the game experiences frame rate drops especially in the day and in areas of high motion. My laptop has no problems playing Sins of a Solar Empire, Half Life 2, or Battlefield 2142. Oblivion seems like a really great game, and I would appreciate any help in finding the problem. Even if it means having to replace some hardware (It had to happen sometime).More Oblivion Lag Problems
Correction:The graphics card has just over a gig of total available memory.More Oblivion Lag Problems
Have you updated your graphics drivers and downloaded the latest game updates?
I'm not sure what could be the problem is, but I can help you eliminate. My desktop runs Oblivion okay (maybe 30 fps) on low settings: I mean really low like 800X600, no effect (but the 3 water and shadow option) and all view distance near. Some of your specs are at least 2x better than mine. My Radeon 9600Pro has 256 MB Pro, my RAM is 1 GB and processor is 2.4 Ghz Pentium 4. My OS is WinXP Pro. So video card and RAM is out of the question. It could be Vista or your processor. Also note that of the three games you listed, Oblivion has the highest requirement, so do expect Oblivion's to lag. Maybe you have some software or application running in the background that doesn't affect those three games but becomes apparent in Oblivion.
Well, I just found out that my graphics card driver wasn't completely up to date. Vista told me it was. Good old Vista. Good enough to throw off a bridge. Anyway, I'm downloading that now and I am running a system defrag among other things. Maybe that will fix the problem, but somehow I doubt it.
I doubt it too, but for your sake I hope it works. If not, try installing XP :P.
If only I could. When I bought my computer, I didn't realize that most of the components are Vista-dependant. Vista, it's like a virus. Oh well.
Just in case anyone is still looking, I ran some tests and found out that the processor is to blame. The normal resting usage while playing Oblivion is around 50-60%. Whenever the usage jumps above 75%, I get lag. It's not unplayable, especially on low settings, but I am considering replacing the processor. Now I've just got to find out what the recommended speed is for a dual core processor with Vista. Since Vista isn't officially supported, that may be a problem.
have any of you guys ever played oblivion on a laptop?

No comments:

Post a Comment