Thursday, April 15, 2010

Empire Total War Demo--Why the Wait?

As of today, there is still no Empire Total War Demo. How come? The games supposed release date is March 3rd, which is only 3 weeks away. I recall a Rome Total War Demo being released well in advance of the actual game, and Medieval Total War 2 followed suit with a demo being released sometime before the game. Any guesses on the delay of the demo?Empire Total War Demo--Why the Wait?
maybe there won't be a demo. I don't recall them ever announcing that there would be oneEmpire Total War Demo--Why the Wait?
[QUOTE=''AntoniustheGrey'']As of today, there is still no Empire Total War Demo. How come? The games supposed release date is March 3rd, which is only 3 weeks away. I recall a Rome Total War Demo being released well in advance of the actual game, and Medieval Total War 2 followed suit with a demo being released sometime before the game.

Any guesses on the delay of the demo?[/QUOTE]

Delay? They never confirmed a demo in the first place..people need to stop assuming things...a demo was never promise...iif one does come out t will be here before the game release be patient...and wait for it to come out.
They're still working on the demo. They said ''it's coming very soon,'' but they assured us it will be out before the release of the game.
Yeah Maybe Tommorrow..? Or Maybe next week I hope.. They said they would be a demo somewhere I remember..
They have an e-mail reminder sign-up thing on their website for when the demo releases, so there will definitely be a demo.
They need a demo for this game. We need to benchmark how well our computers are going to run the game.
[QUOTE=''Wasdie'']They need a demo for this game. We need to benchmark how well our computers are going to run the game.[/QUOTE]Yeah I agree--we need a demo. I would do the sign up for the sega website, but gamespot is going to tell us asap also I think.
dont know man i've been waiting for it for the past ten days. its one of my most anticipated titles for 2009 and the wait is killing me
There won't be a demo, end of story.
[QUOTE=''lucky326'']There won't be a demo, end of story.[/QUOTE]

Where did you get this info from?
Demo is coming soon. They are still trying to make the demo ''just right'' or whatever.
From the TW/CA forums concerning the demo: Hello All.

Where to start? Well first of all yes we are aware a version of our incomplete demo code has been leaked via Steam. We had great fun watching it being played live on webcam, I can assure you.

The easiest way to address all this is to do a short QA ****format, any subsequent questions please just ask and I'll answer.

i. If the demo was ready and on steam why didn't you just release it?

The demo was on Steam only for testing purposes, we knew there was a small chance it could become public if someone found the right way to get at it and someone did. It's since been removed. It wasn't ready for a public release and we have a bit more to do on it. We were testing to ensure that when a demo is released nobody has any problems accessing and authenticating it via Steam. It's slightly dangerous code security wise but at some point we had to test it.

ii. Why did you close all the threads and info on the demo?

The real answer is 'duplication'. Having a leak is embarrasing but it's not too bad. We just didn't want the method of 'how' to be shared. We're aware everyone wants the code and the demo but this isn't ready yet. It might look ready, but there is genuinly more to do. Hence we needed to ensure the 'how to' isn't rapidly duplicated before we can remove the code. We don't want thousands of you having incomplete code. I know it's maddening, but think of it like this: We take pride in polishing things at CA, even if its behind the code stuff that goes unseen, it's important to us that quality is our top priority (You may remember we even moved the release date for this reason) so please understand this is our love and we don't do 'just good enough', with demos or full releases.

iii. When will we get the demo we want?

I'm not toying with you when I say very soon. It really isn't too far away. Annoyingly I can't put a date on it, because development is not a quantative process. There will be a demo for general release and it will be soon, it's not a hype machine it's quality control.

iv. What about the guy that did it?

I want to say something a little controversial here. The exploit was our weakness, and as long as he didn't break any user agreements or laws in getting hold of the demo via Steam then there's no issue here, but that is for Valve to confirm not me. From CA's point of view I want to give the guy my thanks and respect that he's said he deliberately won't pirate the incomplete demo he's got out of respect for the game, I hope he stays true to that statement. He was also really rather complimentary in his commentary whilst playing live and whilst I can't condone or encourage what he did I would suggest that when demoing live one should always try grouping ships in custom formation (Organise then hit g on selected ships) and also account for the wind a little more when playing. In all seriousness, I can't speak about any potential legal issues but what I can say from the dev perspective is, we hoped you liked it (Those watching as well as him playing) despite it being unfinished and thanks for respecting our game and our community at large by ceasing broadcast and not redistributing. We'd ask that that be the end of the matter so we can leave it in the friendly spirit it's at now.

Now, let the questions and statements begin!

Kind regards,
Kieran http://shoguntotalwar.yuku.com/topic/42290/t/THE-DEMO.html
This should answer what questions you have for the demo.
Thanks for that last post--it really helped out to clear some things up. I think regardless though we're all on our toes here for a demo. I was expcting a release maybe a month ago, but that was baseless of me to think. I'm still waiting though, and even though I know I'll probably love the game, I'm not pre purchasing the game till I play something. What about any of you? Have any of you pre purchased it or plan on doing so? Or are you waiting for release of the actual game or demo, or perhaps a review?
I'm waiting to test the AI. I don't mind an AI that can't put up much of a challenge, but I hate it when my units don't follow my orders (MTW2 was plagued with AI bugs and it's frustrating). I would account 90% of my unit loss to my AI not following my orders correctly. Empire sounds like the enemy AI has been improved drasticly, but I still want to know about unit control. Otherwise, I would purchase the game this instant.
Yeah I don't mind about enemy AI too much either and I definitely understand about Unit orders. It was particularly annoying when I would click cavalry to charge and instead of drawing their lances would sort of half run half walk into the enemy. Hopefully those sorts of issues get fixed.I am sort of worried about Empire total wars map though looks like there aren't too many cities this time around. I could be wrong but from my observation it doesn't look like too many provinces are popping up.Still, waiting for this games demo has been one heck of a drag. I remember when I got the Rome Total War demo I kept playing the same two levels over and over, I was fascinated.
I have been playing Age of Empires III to help satisfy my craving for the game. But, it is like getting only half a cupcake.
They have to patch all there games, so the delay was pointless. This demo shouldn't be taking this long, the content is already there, so why don't they just release and add a time limit.
That's what I don't understand. The content is there, but they don't want to release it in fear of showing a game that needs a lot of touching up. Ok, that's fine. Now I'm not familiar with the whole programming/design aspect or how long it takes, but if its three weeks till a release date, shouldn't there be something on the table (demo wise) that shows the game off. At this point, I'm expecting to go to the store to buy the game and there's going to be some special offer like ''Free demo with purchase of game''. That would be funny. But that's really just how close it's cutting it.At this point I wonder if they are going to push back the release date again. If we were talking about it's original release date, it would only be days away. Maybe the demo will come out on the original release date of Empire Total War? Pure speculation.
[QUOTE=''AntoniustheGrey'']That's what I don't understand. The content is there, but they don't want to release it in fear of showing a game that needs a lot of touching up. Ok, that's fine. Now I'm not familiar with the whole programming/design aspect or how long it takes, but if its three weeks till a release date, shouldn't there be something on the table (demo wise) that shows the game off. At this point, I'm expecting to go to the store to buy the game and there's going to be some special offer like ''Free demo with purchase of game''. That would be funny. But that's really just how close it's cutting it.At this point I wonder if they are going to push back the release date again. If we were talking about it's original release date, it would only be days away. Maybe the demo will come out on the original release date of Empire Total War? Pure speculation.[/QUOTE]That would be quite amusing but the real reason i want this demo is to see how well my system can cope with the game,I dont want to buy the game and than find out i need an upgrade
  • blackheads scars
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment